Dec 29, 2014

Book Review: Antigone


Hey guys and gals! Today, I decided to muster up the strength to do the book review! Surprise! :) (I feel like dying right now...) So, by the title you can tell what book (It's a play) that I have read, researched and reviewed. So, let's get started!

The book, Antigone, that I read was published by Penguin Classics in 1982. They are located in New York City, New York. The translator for Antigone was Robert Fogles, but author was Sophocles. A short plot (With no spoilers) for the play is: A war has ended in Thebes, resulting in deaths of Antigone's  brothers, Polynices and Eteocles. When her parents, King Oedipus and Queen Jocasta died, her uncle, Creon, took power and declared how her brother's bodies will be taken care of. Against their religion, he decides to bury and honor Eteocles while leaving Polynices body for the birds and beast, banning anyone from disturbing it. Risking her life, and not having the support of her sister, Ismene, and her people. she decides to go against the king and bury her brother's body.

The whole play was suppose to be a tragedy and I believed it did well in portraying this. With the surprise deaths and turns in this play, you can really feel the sadness and despair of each character. However, because many lines from the townsmen foreshadowed many of the serious moments, I felt as if it lost the feeling of surprise. Of course, because the language might be confusing, some people might miss this let down.


So, finally, for my opinion over the whole story. (Basically the pro's and con's). I believed it was a great play with a higher level of dialogue. I loved the bravery of Antigone's character, something unheard of in this time period. I also enjoyed how it had a high level of vocabulary, but it wasn't enough to confuse the reader. I what I didn't like about the play, however, was the lack of understanding the townspeople. It makes sense as to why they spoke the way they did, but if you didn't understand it, you can easily get lost.

So, for the: QUESTION OF THE DAY!
Do you enjoy the book reviews, or should I change somethings on it? Please let me know in the comments below or post a link about a blog/video you might have done involving book reviews or tips!

Thanks guys and who is excited for new years!?

2 comments:

  1. i like the two pictures on your blog.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I always try to do a picture relating to the title or text around it.

      Delete